Books about DID/MPD

Write about the things you wish you had known when you were first diagnosed.

Books about DID/MPD

Postby JigsawAnalogy on Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:12 am

Actually, I found these pretty quickly, but if you haven't come across them, here are some books to check out:

The Dissociative Identity Disorder Sourcebook, by Deborah Bray Haddock. This book has good general information on Dissociative Identity Disorder. It's fairly easy to read, and is well organized. It's also useful to give to friends or supporters who want to know more about DID/MPD.

Amongst Ourselves, by Tracy Alderman and Karen Marshall. This book is the closest I've found to a workbook. In addition to really good, easily readable information about DID/MPD, it also has quite a few journal prompts and suggestions for exercises. I found it very helpful when I was first starting to understand that I am multiple. One of the authors is multiple, and there are sections throughout the book written with help from her younger parts.

Got Parts? by A.T.W. This is written by a multiple, and might be useful for people who want very specific guidelines about things that worked for at least one person. There are examples of system maps and other journal exercises, as well as a lot of suggestions for coping in general.

I Am More Than One, by Jane Wegscheider Hyman. This book describes the life experiences of several women who managed to keep up with their professions while also coping with dissociative identity disorder. It has a lot of information about what it's like to deal with DID/MPD, and how different people managed to find ways of combining that with their jobs and home life. It does have a lot of sections that are quite triggering (descriptions of the abuse the women went through, mostly), and there aren't many trigger warnings. So be careful when you are reading.

There are a lot of other books available, but these are the ones I've read recently enough that I feel comfortable recommending them.
Who says there is anything wrong with being crazy, anyhow?
JigsawAnalogy
Site Admin

Re: Books about DID/MPD

Postby Memyself&who on Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:07 pm

Stranger in the Mirror Dr. Marlene Steinberg - This was really helpful to me when I was first trying to learn about dissociation and getting frustrated trying to explain it to others. I knew the level of dissociation I did was probably beyond the average. So this book is really good for those just curious or those just trying to figure out if they might have a dissociative disorder and should see a professional. The link goes to the authors website which has a lot of resources on it. The personal stories she includes were pretty triggering for me. I'm not exactly sure why but I found I eventually stopped reading those sections.

Multiple Personality Disorder from the Inside Out - This is pretty old but it has been really comforting to me when I'm feeling really alone. I picked it up at a recycle center for a buck or so. So if you can get it really cheap on amazon, go for it. It's a collection of poems, statements by with DID. The writings are divided up into different themes. It's not the kind of book you would probably read straight through, it's nice to pick up and flip to a section that you might be feeling or need help with. There is a section for friends, family and Significant Others. It's put out by the Sirdan Foundation with the help of the Many Voices Newsletter.

The Family Inside Doris Bryant and Judy Kessler - Know that Jigsaw wants to read this and have to say so far it's been awesome! It's taking a while to get through because so much of the time I find myself pausing to digest, ponder and write notes to myself. It's been so eye opening and answered a lot of questions so far. Sometimes though I find myself needing to be reminded that I should take what works for me and leave the rest. I say that only because to me it at times is feeling like the horrors Judy went through are the only way a person becomes multiple. So, I can't entirely relate to that piece of it and find I need to remind myself not to compare. Abuse is abuse, a screwed up family model is a screwed up a family model, and people can be multiple for a whole slew of reasons. Anyway...I'll try to remember to update this when I'm through with the book.
Memyself&who
posts a bit
posts a bit

Return to If I had known then...