Definitions

This section is for people coping with the aftermath of ritual abuse. Please remember to keep yourself safe. When you are posting, please be particularly careful to put a trigger warning on posts that you think might be especially triggering. Remember: this forum is a space for us to share the coping skills we have gained; if you have questions or would like advice, it's best to post that in the questions sections. Thanks.

Definitions

Postby Battle_Weary on Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:07 am

RITUAL
A ritual is an action that has symbolic meaning. It may be private, like taking a good luck charm to an exam or public (socially shared), like saluting the flag.

Rituals may be reserved for rare occasions such as births, unions, deaths, changes of social status, or may be used daily. Examples are saying grace or “gesundheit” or kissing a child goodnight.

RITUAL ABUSE (BROAD DEFINITION)
Ritual abuse is the abuse of a child, weaker adult, or animal in a ritual setting or manner. In a broad sense, many of our overtly or covertly socially sanctioned actions can be seen as ritual abuse, such as military basic training, hazing, racism, spanking children, and partner-battering. Some abuse is private (Jeffrey Dahmer, for example), some public. Public ritual abuse may be either open or secret.

RITUAL ABUSE (NARROW DEFINITION)
The term ritual abuse is generally used to mean repeated, extreme, sadistic abuse, especially of children, within a group setting. The group’s ideology is used to justify the abuse, and abuse is used to teach the group’s ideology. The activities are kept secret from society at large, as they violate norms and laws.

PROGRAMMING
Programming refers both to the process of teaching part of the mind unquestioned obedience and to the content of what is taught. Thus you can say that a person has been programmed to suicide under certain conditions, or you can talk about a suicide program that is triggered (activated) by certain words or conditions.

The word programming has a heaviness to it, an aura of machine-like inevitability. It is helpful to remember that programming is something that is done to a human being by another human being, for a specific reason, using certain time-tested techniques, at a certain time and place. If you think of programming as training, some of the heaviness and mystery lifts.
I live in my own little world, but it's okay, they know me here.
Battle_Weary
posts some more
posts some more

why_joining1: I'm a joiner? hehe...that is seriously far from the truth! But seriously...I think tis type of forum is an outstanding idea and welcome the chance to learn from others, share ideas, and maybe create something useful.
nospam: I am not a spammer and I will not post spam.

Return to Programming